AKG K550 reviewed, best sealed headphones for 2012 !!
In this AKG K550 review which is one of the best headphones in it’s category, i will mention a story of a friend of mine that owns the Audio-Technica ATHANC7 Noise-cancelling Headphones. When he listened to my Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro that I got from Amazon. He was amazed by the sound quality. So he wanted an upgrade as there is a huge difference in sound quality between these two headphones. He made his research and found that the Sennheiser PXC 450 NoiseGard Active Noise-Canceling Headphones where the best headphones that will suite his needs. He needed the best headphones with noise canceling features as well as sound quality. He stayed for more than 6 month without taking any decision. Then i found it on a site in the new 2012 collection. I was astonished by its beautiful new design. I made my research on the web and decided to make that review for these best headphones before telling him about them.
- The AKG K550 headphones combine the advantages of the closed back design (no leakage to the outside) with the open sound of the opened back design with an accuracy like the famous AKG K701 (semi) open back reference headphones.
- This advantage makes them the best headphones for use indoors and outdoors. The AKG K 550s have an ultra comfortable new design. They have big ear cups with a lightweight headband.
- Their driver is 50 mm, which is the biggest in AKG headphone range. That makes them deliver exceptional sound quality that similar other headphones fail to provide.
- The K550s provide does not need an additional amplifier.
- The AKG K550s are used with most mobile devices and home hi-fi systems.
- The K 550s deliver a very good 3d special imaging and that is needed when watching movies. They have an amazing 2D- axis folding mechanism that make them save when stored at home,
- The only inconvenient is that theirs cord is not detachable like other headphones in its category.
Checkout this frequency response comparison between the Famous Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, AKG K702and the AKG K550 headphones:
Note that the Blue line is our K550 AKG Headphones as it is not mentioned in the graph itself. This Graph shows how smooth is the audio response without losing the low frequency response like most closed headphones, as most reviewer
AKG K550 technical specifications:
- Sensitivity: 114 dB
- Cord Length: 9.5ft
- Isolation: -12dB ~ -18dB
- Impedance @ 1kHz: 32 Ohms
- Frequency response :12Hz to 28kHz
AKG K550 owners reviews from Amazon:
“Bought the K550s to replace my AKG K702s, which still I love but my wife complained about sound leakage during late night listening, since they are an open design. Virtually no sound leakage (in or out) with the K550s. Very private listening. While the K550s are not self-adjusting, they are definitely more comfortable than the K702s, which have those little bumps in the headband that dig into you head after a while.”
By M. Prince
“BIt’s about time an audio company addressed the need for sensitive headphones suitable for use with a typical mobile device – phone or tablet or media player – without a secondary amplifier.
The AKG K550 is just awesome.“It’s almost impossible to find decent sealed cans for office / travel use that do not fall in to one of the following categories: a) noise cancellation or b) over pronounced bass.”
“Well-balanced, clear and detailed sound without any particular added coloration. Tight, articulate and musical bass; good presence but not muffled or boomy despite the closed design. If you like extra thump, you can lay it in with your eq and they’ll happily deliver, but there’s no added emphasis built in by default.
For a closed design, these have a surprisingly wide and spacious sound. They give very good noise isolation and privacy without feeling claustrophobic like many other closed cans. The swivels on the cups are a bit stiff and with the overall light clamping pressure, will probably need to be adjusted by hand (both up/down and forward/back) to get a good fit for best sound. Don’t expect them to settle properly from just the clamping force.”
These headphones as i consider them the Best Headphones for outdoors or sound engineers. I hope that this AKG K550 review was informative , thanks to comment and share this article.