Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm, one of the best headphones sound engineers love!
These are one of the best headphones used by sound engineers in studios, the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium headphones offer balanced clear sound using an amplifier. The DT800 headphones light drivers needs more power than conventional heavier drivers that is why for the 600 Ohms version is is more likely use the recommended Beyerdynamic A1 amplifier, click this link to check it on Amazon. The beyerdynamic dt880 is a semi open design headphone that provides a little bit sound isolation and a small reduction of leaked sound to the outside, while providing a high end fidelity usually delivered by these audiophile grade headphones. Comfort is another aspect and specially the velour pads that almost every headphones from Beyerdynamic have.
Video Review for Beyerdynamic DT880 headphone
Let’s have a look on Beyerdynamic DT880 Features and Main Characteristics:
- They need a good amplifier to drive them like tube amplifiers and not solid state as most users preferred the tube amplifiers.
- Their Bass is not loud like the Bass of the DT 990s, but you will feel it and it’s deep.
- Balanced sound, no extra bass or extra treble.
- Comfortable earups and suitable for Extended listening times, and you can change the velour pads.
- If the Amp is not powerful enough you will not get all these 600 ohms headphones.
- Their Treble as the Beyerdynamic treble is known a little bit high but with full details, but still lower than the DT 990
- If you like extra bass i suggest you to choose the Beyerdynamic DT 990 pro headphones
- Good looking headphones, and the material is good, as they are handcrafted in the Germany.
- An owner advised that their mid range is little attenuated compared to the AKG K701.
- They are light on your head that you forget that they are on your head.
- They are non fatiguing when listen to them like the DT 990
- If your prefer the kind of music that does not involve the high bass and treble frequency ranges.
- You will listen to old sounds like it’s the first time, they will let you listen to frequencies that where always there but other headphones did not let you listen
- They are Semi Open and can leak sound outside if you listen to high volume, if you seek a private listening experience , i suggest you to use the new AKG Acoustics
- Suggested Amplifiers to use with Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones are Beyer Dynamic A1 Headphone Amplifier, Fiio E9 Desktop Headphone Amplifier or FiiO E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier, Hi-Fi Man EF2A, a computer guy use Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD Internal Sound Card or ASUS PCI-Express x1 Sound Card XONAR ESSENCE STX, you can checkout Amazon and make you own research for these amplifiers as their prices vary.
- Lighter material drivers needs more powerful power driven by audio amplifiers but in return these DT 800 headphones deliver unrivaled response clarity and maximum to be able to compete for the Best Headphones spot
Here is a graph from headphone.com clarifying the frequency response DT880 vs DT990 headphones, we can see from the graph that the Beyerdynamic DT880 is smoother in the low and high frequencies ; (Bass and Treble)
And here are the technical specifications for Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones:
- Transmission Type: Wired
- Impedance: 600 ohms
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz – 35,000 Hz
- Sound Pressure Level: 96 dB
- Construction: Circumaural (over-the-ear)
- Cable & Plug: Straight connecting cable with mini-jack plug (3.5 mm) & 1/4″ adapter (6.35 mm)
- Net Weight: 290 g
Owners Reviews from Amazon for Beyerdynamic DT 880 headphones:
“Basic Build:Obviously, the build and appearance of both these headphone will be nearly identical. And that is correct, with the only difference being the outside of the earcups. The build quality of these headphones are among the best I have ever experienced. They are made of very high quality materials and feel very hefty, despite their light weight. The cable is nice and thick and is well connected to the headphone and jack itself. Although coated in an almost stiff plastic, I have no complaints about the cable. The headband, is also incredibly durable, able to withstand horrible abuse. In fact, I conducted an experiment. I actually grabbed the two cups of the headphone, and bent them backwards so that the headphone was completely straight in a flat line form. After that, I bent the headband in a very tight loop. After all this, the headband looked and functioned exactly as it did before, with absolutely no obvious wear or damage. Although I cannot recommend doing this for stress relief, rest assured that your Beyer headband will never break. If it does, tell me how you did it. Overall build is just fantastic. Beefy parts, solid materials, resistant design, and great feel overall.”
“For the longest time I had cheapo Sony’s or whatever they sold at the store and figured that was as good as it gets. After I broke my “good” headphones, I went on the hunt for a new set, did a lot of reading, and found an entire sub-culture devoted to headphones. After lots and lots of research I landed on the DT 880 600ohm and have been both astonished and saddened at how much of the sound stage I’ve been missing!”
By P. Burdick “pataburd2”
“True, these need capable amping to sound their best (Got Tubes?), but once your upstream gear is in place, the DT880/600 deliver a smooth, detailed, dynamic and tonally beautiful performance. Once you’ve heard the 600 ohm version of these cans under suitable conditions, you’ll probably never go back to the 250 ohm version.”
These headphones are considered one of the best headphones in the market today as entry level audiophile headphones. I hope that this Beyerdynamic DT880 review was informative and thanks to add your thoughts and comments below.